Yes
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

xXNeoXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Feature Request: Upload Range Reply with quote

1. Upload range
- Allow a minimum and maximum upload range that runs under the boost upload rule so that you don't look stupid uploading at 100 KB/s on a ISP that doesn't even have a package that supports such an upload limit.
-This would also improve upload rates on torrents that have very slow uploads normally, but fast downloads.

This will ensure more accurate boosting of the upload ratio while always maintaining a resonable rate that appears legit (not cheating) because the upload rate will never be very low, but will never be so high that it looks fake, regardless of how much you are uploading/downloading from a torrent.

Example:
I'm downloading a torrent at 100 KB/s and I'm uploading at 15KB/s

Without Upload Range:
This will cause me to have about 75KB/s upload rate reported. This is BAD because most ISPs do NOT offer uploads at this speed! It will make you stand out a lot and be easy to ban. This is great however if the torrent is uploading very slow, but not all torrents will upload fast or slow, they vary all the time.

With Upload Range:
Let's say I set my upload range to 20KB/s Minimum - 60 KB/s Maximum.
With a torrent downloading at 100 KB/s and uploading 15 KB/s, the maximum upload rate I can give would be 60 KB/s. This looks completely normal. The good thing is that if I download a torrent at say 50 KB/s but only upload at 2 KB/s, I will show an upload rate of at least 20KB/s with my minimum range limit.
lilgeeek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question to you, are you depending on a download multiplier? If then you and your idea are both stupid.

Thinking again, why would we need such an option? If your ISP is providing an upload bandwidth of only 0.25 times the actual download, then you can set 4 times upload -- and that wouldn't generate a suspicious ratio unlike you say. I don't see the point why GT would need such an option? May be I didn't get it, can you explain please?

Btw, I just got a 1:1 internet connection, but still I'm using GT.. I love it; now I use it to keep myself in the hall of fame of uploaders. It took some time, but GT just got me into the list of hall of fame members over that time. Now I have special privileges!! Wink
andresado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: upload range Reply with quote

Totally agree with lilgeeek. I'm uploader too, and have huge buffer.
pwscfocus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea but like what was already said I use a upload multiplier.
xXNeoXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilgeeek wrote:
One question to you, are you depending on a download multiplier? If then you and your idea are both stupid.

Thinking again, why would we need such an option? If your ISP is providing an upload bandwidth of only 0.25 times the actual download, then you can set 4 times upload -- and that wouldn't generate a suspicious ratio unlike you say. I don't see the point why GT would need such an option? May be I didn't get it, can you explain please?

Btw, I just got a 1:1 internet connection, but still I'm using GT.. I love it; now I use it to keep myself in the hall of fame of uploaders. It took some time, but GT just got me into the list of hall of fame members over that time. Now I have special privileges!! Wink

I'm speaking based on multiplying by the upload, and its not stupid. Yes, the upload is much less than the download on ISPs. My point is that you can be uploading on a torrent that is as slow as 1KB/s and need to have a high multiply value to make it better, but what if it is already doing great and doesnt need to be multiplied as much? This is my point. If an ISP's max upload is 60 KB/s and you are uploading at the full 60 KB/s plus multiply the upload by 5x thats 300 KB/s which is the speed of some cable connections on the DOWNLOAD. My point is that it is not possible to have a steady good upload based on a simple upload multiply X rule, because you can't set it properly for both a slow uploading and a fast uploading torrent. You can't as* that all torrents will upload naturally at the same speed before being multiplied by GreedyTorrent, which is exactly what this program does. This is why a range should be added, because it would ensure that a minimum and maximum limit is made to prevent looking totally insane, but also prevent a low ratio by protecting the minimum upload on specific torrents that upload extremely slow.

Don't as* a person and his idea is stupid because you either don't understand or agree with it. It's people like you that cause others not to suggest ideas.

If you don't like it, then fine. Don't sit around and complain about it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GreedyTorrent Community Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1