Home   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in 
what internet connection speed you have??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GreedyTorrent Community Index -> Chat, flaming and discussions about ethics
[DeL]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melvinmeow wrote:

Ex: we saw alot of users with slow upload speeds complaing they couldnt seed back so some people came up with the SeedBonus option you now see presented on many sites.

I dont see that kind of bonuses on my 2 favorite sites, which I uses most often Confused

Melvinmeow wrote:
Why complain about having sucky upload speeds if your not planning on uploading anything anyways?

cherwonk wrote:
OH thats right your young greedy gotta have it now spoil little bastards , forgot ... my bad.

You dont listen to me. Im sharing my torrents atleast 2 weeks each, but Im downloading 8 times more during this period, so my ratio is not good.

I always have over 100 files seeding in my uTorrent so dont tell me this kind of bs guys Evil or Very Mad
ace696

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 mbps down, 512 kbps up...

Embarassed
methods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[DeL] wrote:
2048/256 Sad

i have to upload 8 times longer than i can download Confused

I fail to see the point here. Maybe you could explain it to me? If your seeding a torrent 8 times as long. Wouldn't that simply mean that, that particular torrent was on site, and being seeded just that much longer? I would think that if it was your favorite tracker. You'd feel a sense of accomplishment there.

This is why ratio was created in the first place. Not as some form of punishment for those with crappy speeds, but to keep torrent alive longer. Hence making them more available to everybody.

Private trackers ban people for cheating, and not sharing. Nobody bans people for having a slow upload speed, or seeding. If your making an honest attempt to seed. Then they shouldn't ban you regardless of your ratio.

just my two cents worth.....
lilgeeek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 times longer seeding time??? that's a problem!

1 day you download... The rest of the days in the week you have to seed??? Its better you don't download at all..

Well, my thoughts, why not the tracker community let go of the ratio thing.. and leave the users competing for speed with the normal bittorrent protocol tit-for-tat thing? That way.. more users.. more chance of someone seeding.. more availability of a torrent.. swarms will always be larger..

Don't you see the advantage here?
methods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilgeeek wrote:
1 day you download... The rest of the days in the week you have to seed??? Its better you don't download at all..

Not true if you want to contribute to the tracker that your on. Many believe the only way to contribute is to donate. Not true. The largest way anyone can contribute to their favorite tracker is simply to seed, and the longer the better. Your talking about 8 days like it's a life time. It's really not that long when you think of the good your doing for other people that wish to have the same torrent you do.

I mean say you wanted to download the movie 300. You open up your favorite tracker and low and behold it isn't their, because nobody seeded it. They all just grabbed it with their little cheat client. Got their ratio's and went about their own business. Now all of the sudden your out of luck, because you were a few days late in getting it. I'm not sure about you, but I know I'd be pissed!

As to going ratio free. Well there's a few that are now ratio free private sites. As well as the public sites that have always been free. However if you look around you'll see a lot of the sites have adapted a 72 hr rule. Where they only require you to seed for 72 hrs on each torrent. Of course their still ratio driven, but you only have to seed torrents for 3 days. So you lose a little ratio on one, but clean up on another. You still come out ok, and your not forced to seed that same torrent for the rest of your life.
Sathanas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a gigabit line. I don't seed back because I'm evil.
lilgeeek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tell me, methods. Why do I need to seed when I don't have to?

Don't hate me, but I don't really care what happens to the community if I cheat. All I'm trying to do everyday is to make the best use of my internet connection. My upload speed allows me to make only 1/4th usage of it because of the darn ratios (If I were to seed to 1:1 Laughing). 1 day download, 4 days upload, 1 day download, 4 days upload, loop, and that is even worser when I can't find any peer who wants my upload.

So, this is what I do, I cheat and trick so that I can download 24x7 --- without worrying about ratios. However I cheat, the ones who have good upload speeds will maintain the community and the "bittorrent future thing" with all their efforts. Some believe they're born to seed, but I doubt even they would seed if there were no ratio enforcement.

And in my experience, even in times I wanted to seed some file, I found the swarm almost completely ignore me because of my poor upload speed. And if I downloaded some file with a single seed and no peers, it gets on my shoulder. I hate to wait days and weeks for some one to come and take my packets and bring me the good ratio so I can continue.

And you're talking about seeders keeping their torrents alive forever. I don't see it happening. What happens to all the torrents, even on private trackers is that, once there's no one to download the seeds are gone too! Sometimes I want to download a pretty good file that I would seed if I get, I have to beg like hell on the forums for somebody to seed. And chances for getting that file are 50-50.

My two cents?
methods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilgeeek wrote:
You tell me, methods. Why do I need to seed when I don't have to?

I hope this wasn't a rhetorical question, because I'm going to answer it. One reason is you risk getting ip banned from your tracker. Everyone thinks greedy torrents is so safe to use and they'll never get caught. Today that may be true, but tomorrow may be a different story. One thing the internet has taught us is if it can be programed it can be broken. All the cracks, patches, and key gens are proof of that. So no matter how elusive GT seems to be at this point. Somebody's going to find a way to catch it. The dev's on the private sites are no less creative than the dev's here at GT. Sooner or later it'll happen. Then the dev's here will come out with a new and improved version that can't be caught again. So on and so forth. It's like a war that never ends. However once your banned, your banned, and a newer smarter version of GT won't do you any good on that tracker.

Lets say for a moment that they can't come up with a way to catch GT. I doubt that they won't be able to, but lets just suppose for a minute. They won't let something like this go on. What do you think their next move is? They'll be forced to develop their own client. One that reports in a way so that it can't be spoofed. At that point you'll be back to square one, and everybody will wonder how come all the sudden you can't seed back. Since you've had no issues with it in the past. Yet again you wind up a target, and possibly get banned.

It's not about hating you dude. I'm trying to get my point across that cheating is really a unnecessary risk. I realize your trying to get the most out of a crappy internet connection, and I know it can be tough at times. However right now it seems there's hundreds of private sites out there. All of them are doing whatever they can to add members. There is so much free leech and incentive programs out there that there's really no need to cheat. One site even gives you 1% of what you download every hour you seed. As long as there's no leechers on the torrent. So as long as you seed for 100 hrs. The absolute worst you could do is have a 1:1 ratio on everything. Other sites have seed bonus's and ratio boosting torrents. They really have done everything to make it easy. Even for guys with crap connections. If your having so many problems seeding back where your at. Try a different tracker. If your willing to cheat them for ratio you can't be very tied to it in the first place.

One thing I think most people misunderstand about the 1:1 ratio is. It's ok to go below 1:1. If your seeding your torrents you won't get banned. Unless your on one of those sites with some sort of ratio auto ban. In which case, again I'd recommend a different tracker. The 1:1 ratio was developed to get people to seed, and to keep torrents alive longer. It's not a stringent as everybody seems to think. Most private site owners only wish to see you seed to the best of your ability, and not to ban you for doing all you can.

If you have to beg like hell in the forums to get a file, and it's not a really hard to find file. Then I really think your in the wrong place dude. I really think you need to find yourself a better tracker, rather than possibly cheat yourself out of a account.
Sonnentier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace696 wrote:
2 mbps down, 512 kbps up...
Exactly what I have, a good configuration for private trackers.

ACiDismyBITCH wrote:
and if it does has your noob as* ever heard of usenet?
Rofl Rolling Eyes
I don't know about you, but I have usenet access right now.
I'd recommend you to get an account too, as it gives you a lot of "free" download, helping with the ADSL/ratio problem.

lilgeeek wrote:
8 times longer seeding time??? that's a problem!

1 day you download... The rest of the days in the week you have to seed???
You continuously download the whole day?

lilgeeek wrote:
Well, my thoughts, why not the tracker community let go of the ratio thing.. and leave the users competing for speed with the normal bittorrent protocol tit-for-tat thing?
Tit-for-tat would give you a download comparable to your upload speed - is that what you want?
It's like going from extreme hard rules straight to anarchy.
Personally, I prefer something in the middle, like bigger trackers where people don't require 1:1, trackers which are still private but not overcrowded with noobs and leechers.

Sathanas wrote:
I have a gigabit line. I don't seed back because I'm evil.
No, because you are an egoistic, asocial idiot.
I really don't see why you don't seed back, but it shows that it's not only about low upload speeds.
lilgeeek wrote:
However I cheat, the ones who have good upload speeds will maintain the community
Yup, people like Sathanas will help you!

lilgeeek wrote:
but I don't really care what happens to the community if I cheat. All I'm trying to do everyday is to make the best use of my internet connection
That's the point. In return I don't feel like I need to send half a byte to a leecher with this approach (my upload is also limited).
lilgeeek wrote:
My upload speed allows me to make only 1/4th usage of it because of the darn ratios
True, but that's not because of "the darn ratios", that's your crappy asymetric line and simply a technical fact!
lilgeeek wrote:
So, this is what I do, I cheat and trick so that I can download 24x7 --- without worrying about ratios.
Leeching 24x7 - don't you feel guilty???

lilgeeek wrote:
And in my experience, even in times I wanted to seed some file, I found the swarm almost completely ignore me because of my poor upload speed. And if I downloaded some file with a single seed and no peers, it gets on my shoulder. I hate to wait days and weeks for some one to come and take my packets and bring me the good ratio so I can continue.
I agree, that's a problem. But as method wrote, on trackers that aren't uber eleetist - and with really trying - you shouldn't get banned. I understand your problem, and I also have the impression that you're not a bad user, but I don't think cheating is a good solution.
denmother

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: excellent site Reply with quote

20/1mbps i have.. i cant seed 24/7 reason high price of electricity.
AND I AM STUDENT LIVING IN FOREIGN COUNTRY

THAT TELL YOU ALL.

of course not everybody should use this tool only the one who really needed. but this tool like everything else in life can be misused..

i hope you get my point

p.s. sry for my english i am from Europe.

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GreedyTorrent Community Index -> Chat, flaming and discussions about ethics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3