Home   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in 
TO ADMINS AND DEVELOPERS[!]

torrentlover

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: TO ADMINS AND DEVELOPERS[!] Reply with quote

I need to say thanks openly.

To the admins and developers, thank you for a great program.
I have been having a hell of a time with private torrent sites trying to keep a 1:1 ratio. I am a very good seeder and I love to be generous but I don't think its fair the system as it is now.

Even Bram Cohen agrees that private sites have manipulated the whole idea behind torrent to an impossible scenario given that a tit for tat is exactly how bittorent operates.

I need to quote someone from a website,

Quote:

I want to make a dig at stupid tracker sites that "ban" users who have too low upload/download ratios. Let me tell a story. I know a friend of a friend who downloaded a 6GB file the other day. They came to their client surprised to see several "blah refused by tracker" error messages, but thankfully some of the peers were tied into that DHT thing. After downloading it, my friend prepared to leave the client in the background, and allow it to upload until my friend's share ratio was 1:1. After a while though, suspicion set in. Even though over the DHT my friend had uploaded gigabytes, the tracker webpage still returned a "Host refusted: share ratio 8xxMB/6xGB".

It turns out that, gasp, trackers can't tell when clients are sharing with each other. There are some hackneyed algorithms where your client can optionally inform the tracker about the peers who sent you stuff, but it's not authoritative to say the least, nor necessary. So my friend was in quite a laughable quandary. In "banning" my friend from using the tracker, they also prevented my friend from seeding the file. Talk about a catch-22, the nearest allegory I could find to stupid trackers that think they're helping by banning users with odd ratios, was that old concept of debtor's prison where if you fell into debt you went to prison, where you weren't given any wages to pay back your debt.

So private registration, fine. Invite only, great. Obfuscating relayed protocols, be my guest. But don't try to monitor people's upload and download ratios at the tracker level. That's a job for the clients, who actually participate in the uploading and downloading, and frankly the bittorrent protocol already chokes the bandwidth of peers who won't upload, so there's no need for the tracker to ever intervene, except perhaps to form elite cadres of foppish rich boys who have tons of bandwidth and can't fathom why other people don't just go purchase T1 lines and play fairly."

(I have to agree)

-torrentlover
uberrig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TO ADMINS AND DEVELOPERS[!] Reply with quote

torrentlover wrote:
........... Even Bram Cohen agrees that private sites have manipulated the whole idea behind torrent to an impossible scenario given that a tit for tat is exactly how bittorent operates.

I need to quote someone from a website,
-torrentlover

You're listening to Bram Cohen? that tool sold out to the MP@@ ... listen to him and being labeled a cheater will be the least of your worries ... tool.

stop cheating and seed 1:1
________
Wholesale vaporizers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GreedyTorrent Community Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1