Home   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in 
Thank you for creating dishonesty :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GreedyTorrent Community Index -> Chat, flaming and discussions about ethics
dryden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikestarkweather wrote:
Bittorent IS about downloading copyrighted material for free, so you really have no ethical base to stand on when arguing about the morality of leeching illegal software/video/audio.

But, if it makes you happy to showcase your own ignorance and stupidity by frothing at the mouth with impotent rage, go ahead! It makes for some VERY humorous reading! Wink

LOL LOL Very Happy

Yes it DOES Smile. I love people who act all indignant.

As to the ethical nature of 'stealing' copyrighted material, there is no absolute universal position and there is no absolute judge, and the opinions differ.

My position for example is very simple.

You cannot own information. Even the law recognizes this. You can only 'own' the copyright to certain information. The information itself cannot be owned. Ever. It goes completely contrary to the nature of information for information to be 'owned'.

Therefore, if you want to make a living making some valuable piece of information, I will not buy it from you, for you cannot sell what you do not own. Rather, I will 'steal' it and then I will donate, if I consider you worthy of my money. Then, my donation will be a sign of my love for you, instead of a sign of my own self-interest (giving only because I get something back).

And I might even donate if you have produced nothing valuable at all. Because I think you have the right to live, whatsoever.

But *that* is all just fantasy for now Wink.
DarkKnight99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: GT natural response to unatural 1:1 ratio Reply with quote

The way I see it not everyone has a fast ramp to the internet, so GT evens it out on private trackers. A 1:1 ratio is unfair if your speed sucks. Why not a program that automatically determines your speed and a FAIR ratio you could return when leeching? I laugh at people like Uberrig who spout their PHONY baloney ethics while probably pirating copyrighted material...true P2P never EVER enforced this early on...its wrong and does not work. Because people have varying speeds P2P recognizes this. Users come and go in swarms. I have used GT on many private trackers without a problem and intend to keep on using it. I will say when seeding a torrent I hate hit and runners...I make an effort to return what I take...but GT helps me maintain a comfortable niche. I don't lose any sleep when cheating pirates on an unfair do or DIE 1:1 ratio, sorry. Too bad OINK went down, I enjoyed leeching the OINKER for terrabytes at a time....sweeet! Their Admins were trolls. Everyone hated them, they seemed to enjoy making people live in fear. The Pink palace enforced silly rules like, EVERYONE must have a cutsy utsy avatar of a stuffed animal, or be banned! I'm serious. Gated, inbred, communities pirating copyrighted material should at least pretend to be cool. You'd have maybe like 50 seeders on a file for weeks and NO leechers because of their unfair, abusive ratio rules. I swear, the average OINK member had to be very submissive to stomach the lameness. Anyway GT is a fantastic program. What is and should be fair would be for people to upload what they can in return for leeching. This is fair P2P, the way it was designed to be. Gated communties need to get rid of the ratio thing, and start communicating with their members more. Its too easy to Just ban someone, instead of attempting to act like a real person. OINK admins proved that absolute power corrupts absolutely...True P2P is people sharing because they want to. This equates into a real open minded, open hearted online community that engenders trust and friendship, not fear and loathing.
pwscfocus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well I didn't read all 14 pages but I will say thanks for making this. I try my best to upload as much as I can but if someone has a 1.2 ratio then that means someone has a 0.8 ratio. I keep torrents up for two or three weeks and still my ratio is at 0.9. This causes me to have a 24hr wait to d/l and that means I have less people to seed to when I get it. I have used this to get back to a 1.0 so I can try and keep it at this ratio. thanks for such a great program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GreedyTorrent Community Index -> Chat, flaming and discussions about ethics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14