Home   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in 
GT and ISP monthly bandwidth limitation

Shadow133

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: GT and ISP monthly bandwidth limitation Reply with quote

Before anyone complain, I read all GT instructions and several posts prior to starting this topic, and I know that GT will not "increase" upload speed etc etc. I am not an expert in any way and this could sound dumb to most people.

My ISP limit my download and upload to 80Gb/month (dwn+up). If my Total rate (download+upload) goes above that they simply cut my speed down Sad . Fortunately (or at least) they provide a tool to measure my actual consumption, so I can keep track of any changes.

1) I noticed that with GT my upload rate on my ISP also went up. Seems obvious, but I need confirmation that, by increasing my torrent upload ratio via GT will also increase my global upload rate that is send by my computer to the ISP.

2) I don't know if this makes sense but, is it possible to create a tool to simulate lower download/upload ratios to my ISP (or it already exists)? This way my modem would report lower bandwidth usage then I am actually using.
lilgeeek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: GT and ISP monthly bandwidth limitation Reply with quote

Shadow133 wrote:
1) I noticed that with GT my upload rate on my ISP also went up. Seems obvious, but I need confirmation that, by increasing my torrent upload ratio via GT will also increase my global upload rate that is send by my computer to the ISP.

Ratio set in GT will not make your bittorrent client upload more, and thus, it doesn't affect the limit on the server. What you really upload using your bittorrent client is what that matters for the ISP.

Shadow133 wrote:
2) I don't know if this makes sense but, is it possible to create a tool to simulate lower download/upload ratios to my ISP (or it already exists)? This way my modem would report lower bandwidth usage then I am actually using.

It doesn't! lol! There's no way you cheat your ISP. But hey, nothing's impossible, you set up a proxy gateway outside your network enable an infinitely good compression algorithm for the traffic between you and the proxy. Then, you can actually bring the ratio down. But hey, now don't I have to pay for two connections and machines?? Laughing
Shadow133

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I was getting a little nervous because I wasn't sure if GT would mess with my bandwidth consumption. I do have 2 connections with my ISP and several machines here, but I truly lack the expertise to do all that Very Happy . I think I will have to wait until optical fiber is in my city and theres a better ISP, say about 10-15 years. I just hope I am still alive...

Again, thanks for the quick response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GreedyTorrent Community Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1