Home   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in 
What does 'proxy' really mean?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

bugme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: What does 'proxy' really mean? Reply with quote

When you say gt uses a proxy, do you mean that it monitors and modifies the data between a bt client and the tracker? Something like hooking onto window's socks?

If I'm correct, this means gt (or any other tool that does this) will always be undetectable, right? (besides over doing it)
getreal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a thing that goes between this thing and that thing, that makes that thing, not know that this thing is really where it is, or what its really doing. Hope that helps!
ace696

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proxy means a software that re-distributes internet connectivity.. kind of like a gateway.. GT is built as a proxy for tracker communication of torrent protocol. Your torrent client will connect to GT and communicate to tracker, while GT modifies what your client wants to say to tracker. Kinda like enforcing "your" ratio so that the tracker can't enforce "its" ratio. Smile
ACiD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

Ya thats like saying my computer is hack proof cuz I'm the smartest one!

Bullshit. If one person can code it another can de-code it. We have devs working on it AS WE SPEAK. We will flag the users using it, we will ban them from all the major torrent sites, you will lose your account, you will not pass go and definitely will not collect $200.

Banning proxies isn't hard either, this software relies on them, we will find out which ones and ban those too..

We have your ips, we can find out what your host is and what your max upload speed is, if we see you uploading faster then that, or seeding a torrent to one person faster then you possibly could, ur gone..
ADSL (l)user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACiD wrote:
LOL!

Ya thats like saying my computer is hack proof cuz I'm the smartest one!

Bullshit. If one person can code it another can de-code it. We have devs working on it AS WE SPEAK. We will flag the users using it, we will ban them from all the major torrent sites, you will lose your account, you will not pass go and definitely will not collect $200.

If you're paying to these "devs" you mentioned, you're waisting your money.

Quote:
Banning proxies isn't hard either, this software relies on them, we will find out which ones and ban those too..

This software doesn't use public proxies, but a one created on user's computer. Ergo, this software and user's regular client have the same IP, so you can't trace GT with that.

Next idea:
Quote:
We have your ips, we can find out what your host is and what your max upload speed is, if we see you uploading faster then that, or seeding a torrent to one person faster then you possibly could, ur gone..

This is probably THE ONLY WAY how you could detect GT being used.
But, there are many users who obtain their IP address dynamicaly. So some provider could have a range of IP addresses and offer different up/dl speeds for his consumers who would use same range. So ONLY if user has a static public IP address, you could for certain match his IP and his speeds. But then again, users with static public IPs usually have no need for this kind of a program.
Not to mention users with no public IP. That means that this provider is using NAT translation or some proxy of his own. So there would be a large number of user behind same few IP addresses. So some might be using GT, and some might not. Banning one IP would ban many "legit" users. But I think I read somewhere else that it's OK with you to ban a range, even if that means that you would ban many many more users who haven't used GT, if you could get one that was using it.

I'm just can't wait to see how would you deal with all this.
uberrig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess what *****... we don't pay anyone to do that. these are honest people that like to SHARE their information.

also, *****, we have more than one or two ways to catch cheaters, scum of the earth, don't rely too much on your GT spoof mod.

We'll find a way to catch it then you sorry sacks of fly fe*** we'll be crying about how sucky GT is.

anything else *****? no? didn't think so.

next.

//U
________
Hawaii Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by uberrig on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ADSL (l)user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, joker=uberrig, you can't seem to entertain me enough. I come to this forum only to see what new nonsense you would type in to your keyboard (all dirty from Milka chocolate and spilled Nes coffee after spending hours staying up late and banning users on your tracker, or chating with your sorry users on your irc channel and giving the +b just for kicks), and post it here.

You're so funny, it's hillarious. I imagine that when you close your eyes you see a picture of Jesus Christ, only it's your face not his, and that you have all the sins of us, sinners and scumm of the earth, on your back, and that you should show us the "true" way of not cheating, because the Bible said so, and that's not how my mom teached me. Not to mention TEH APPOCALYPSE, that is nearing upon us!

I guess that you're one of these guys that never went to Army, but always had admired such organization, and when you discovered TEH INTERNETS you could make an army of your own, where you would be admiral, and you would have your generals and colonels and captains, and your stinky little army of sorry (l)users, and of course, THE ENEMIES, dirty red communist bastards, who threaten the purity of our precious bodily fluids, and the worst of all, they CHEAT.

In that setting you were never used to anybody (or anything) to answer you back. But, why would they tell you something, because you're always right, and always know everything. My gosh, you know about this program, you know about this forum, you even know how to catch cheaters. And soon you would know how to catch GT cheaters. Who knows, maybe this time next year, you'll find a cure for cancer. No, wait ... that was Civilization.

THIS IS REAL LIFE, joker.

My arguments are:

When analyzing user habbits and ISP speed data, you can catch extremly greedy users. There were tools before this one that could lie to a tracker about amount uploaded, and these tools could be detected and were detected if someone abused them too much.

But with those kind of analysis would not get you baning users who use this (or any other) tool in a modest fashion and from time to time.

(1) It's not detectable from trackers side, because the data that tracker recieves are the same as normal client would send.
Solution1: make your users use ONLY the client you have coded. Consequence: see your users leave for other sites.
Solution2: change bittorrent protocol. Consequence: see your server load skyrocketing high.

(2) It cannot be detected from habbits of a users, because he started to upload a bit more than before, which can happen with legit users for multiple reasons (for example, he bought a quicker connection on that month).
Soultion1: Ban users who upload too much too soon. Consequence: Many legit users would be banned = less users on your site = less health on your torrents = less users on your sites = less health ...

(3) It cannot be detected from ISPs settings for that particular IP, because most ISPs use IP ranges, or simply disclose their data about speed plans they're offering on some IP address.
Soultion1: Ban every user that uploads more that phisically possible with his line. Consequence: spending too much time gathering data about every possible ISP and every possible IP and their phisical properties.

So, there you go. If you have more ideas that these three, I would LOVE to hear them. I can't wait to have another 15 minute non stop laughing session, joker.

Or if you decide to disclose them, in order to "suprise" the developers of this tool, I would laugh at your stupidity even harder. Your actions to "detect" this kind of a tool, and specifically, THIS tool, are a source of non stop humor.

I know it's hard for you to understand, but face it: when used properly, GT is undetectable. And new version will be even safer to use. But I guess if people like you are trying to "break" this tool, I can feel quite safe with this "old" version.

anything else joker? no? didn't think so.

Go sob in your little hole.

And only pretend that you haven't read this post 38 times.
Helios

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ ADSL (l)user

Excellent reply.

@Uberrigg

Since u are preaching so much, I guess all the 20,000 odd registerd users in your private tracker are sharing legit stuff, and u are not at all contributing to the losses of your economy.

Just think for a moment.. who is the bigger "cheat" here? Rolling Eyes
Diablo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getreal wrote:
its a thing that goes between this thing and that thing, that makes that thing, not know that this thing is really where it is, or what its really doing. Hope that helps!

LOL
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

btw, UBERGRR... what piece of sh** are u sharing thats can be called HONEST ??

you sounds like somebody really screwed u.... Smile
uberrig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ 3 previous *****... lmfao
We'll catch you, we always do.
This is how software works, you idiots... if a person can write software to do one thing, another person can write software to the opposite.
So if greedytorrent is 'invisible' then someone can write software to 'see' it.

ok, I used small words for the idiots

However, I did get a few laughs out of ADSL user. Rather amusing that his only retorts to me are to fall back on overused IT cliches. Keep using other people's material, eventually you'll find someone that hasn't heard it before and it will sound original to them.

BTW, nice job using the first 4 letters of my nick then adding something derogatory.. that's uberoriginal as well, you uberidiots.
wow I can do it too.. guess I'm just ubersmarter than you lot of cheaters that are most likely working for Bram and the MPAA.

Oddly enough it is possible that you don't realize you're working for him. Some of you could honestly be using GT not knowing who's IP's are being recorded as downloading it.

Next cumbubble to open his yip in these forums better have a damn good reason for being a cheater.

//U
________
Uhwh

Last edited by uberrig on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GreedyTorrent Community Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3